Yeah!!!! New stove!!! We finally got our new stove here and installed. But not without a little bit of drama of course. Because that would just be all too simple now wouldn't it? So they showed up on Thursday (not on time as predicted!) to deliver and I thought, install our oven. However, these were just the delivery people and not the installation people, and they kind of looked at me like "what the hell do you want us to do with this stove?" since our ghetto stove was still sitting there. Oh yeah, and their English was not so good and well, my Hebrew, well, let's just say that it is also not so good. So I frantically start making phone calls to the relocation compnay and of course no one answers their phone. It was still the week of Passover so I suppose many of them were on vacation. I eventually get a hold of the CEO (who as mentioned before had come over previously to make us feel like scum) and he explained that they put a rush to order and deliver the oven, yet did not bother to put a rush on getting anyone to install it. Makes sense to me. I am soooo glad they rushed our new oven over to us only so that it could sit in the spare bedroom over the weekend. Which is exactly where it was until this morning.
Oh, and yes, the story gets even better. So this morning the man who is to install the oven shows up (actually when he said he was going to!), speaks only a few words of English and as soon as I show him where the stove is, he immediately starts pushing it down the hallway. My first thought is to look at our precious hard wood floors as I hear him scraping the oven down the hall and lo and behold, huge scrapes all the way down the hall! Awesome. So of course I yell and scream and throw a fit, and he at least stops before he has pushed it all the way to the kitchen and takes a look at where I am pointing. Meanwhile I stand there with my jaw dropped to the floor and my eyeballs popping out in complete "freak-out" mode. He sort of shrugs and then decides maybe he should put the little legs with the rubber coating on the bottom before he pushes it any further. Ya, think, genius?
So of course I immediately call the relocation company to tell them what this man has done to our floor because we are so not going to pay for this. And of course, I pretty much get blamed for not stopping him sooner or telling him how he should do his job. Just about par for the course. So after he leaves (and we even had to pay this man), I roll (thank goodness ghetto oven was on wheels) the old oven out to the elevator and down to the storage closet (with a little help from a passerby who was kind enough to have pity on my poor pathetic self). Then I come upstairs and breakdown like a baby because now our beautiful floors are ruined and I of course think there is going to be a conspiracy against me and that I am going to get blamed for this man's carelessness. Which may or may not be true. We'll just have to wait and see. They are coming over on Thursday to take a look and see what can be done. *sigh* It just never ends. So if anyone has any brilliant ideas for fixing these scratches I am all ears!
On the bright side of things the weather has been most pleasant and Phil and I enjoyed a delicious dinner at a new restaurant over the weekend. But note to self next time: Don't order the scallop. Yes, I meant scalloP, not scallopS. We thought there were going to be many (or at least 2!!!) scallops for us to enjoy, however, there was just one. One little scallop. Oh sure, it was presented all fancy with the nice big shell and everything and was swimming in a delectable pool of butter and cream, however that did not distract us from the fact that there was just 1 little scallop. And we had ordered this to share for an appetizer. So we cut it up into tiny little pieces (like that was actually going to make us feel more satisfied!) and tried to enjoy our 15 dollar scallop. It was actually quite tasty and cooked perfectly, however, for $15 I would have expected it to put on a song and dance for us. At least a showtune or two. Oh well, at least the Tiramisu sang to me. Or maybe that was just the bottle of wine?
Also, just when I needed it most, I was greeted with a pleasant surprise when I went down to our mailbox today (after aforementioned freak out) and found my new exercise DVDs waiting patiently for me. Now I ordered these DVDs on-line, from the US, on Friday. Today is Tuesday. I guess the postal service can actually be pretty efficient. And the best part was that it really didn't cost all that much to ship. So I say, I just might have to order me some more! (Don't freak out Phil. I won't spend all your money.) I ordered these DVDs because I have recently started getting back into the exercise habit after quite a hiatus. And I've found that I really enjoy the convenience of exercising at home, where no one else can watch me and I can blast the air conditioner and wear my old ratty gym clothes. In any case, I popped in a new DVD and an hour later I felt much better and calmer and was able to stop thinking obsessively about our ruined floors. I guess exercise can really be therapeutic. As can blogging!!! I feel so much better now! Thanks ya'll for reading!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Way to go, Melissa! You can hyperventilate any time you wish...its' your blog. I just hope there wasnt' too much damage to the floors.
Love,
Lynn
Dude, just sand the floor and then restain it, totally easy (assuming it's real wood and not engineered fake wood, in which case sanding it will make it look much worse). But at least you can get all crazy and get your bake on right?
did you get skype on the home computer yet or what?
I too was going to suggest that you sand and restain; I am sure that you can do it or can hire it done. If all else fails, buy nice rugs and worry later. Glad the DVDs arrived so quickly. Some things do work well. Keep us up to date on your cooking adventures. Love you much, Mom
OH! I would so kill somebody if I was in your position!!! EEEEK!
Good for you for exercising. My first thought was, "Get that girl a margarita."
Love you!
Cat
Post a Comment