So I took my first Yoga class the other day. It wasn't too bad, but not quite my style. I suppose I am a litte more of a Western Yogi than an Eastern Yogi. Just give me some hard core power yoga and spare me the chanting and the incense. I don't need to smell like a sweaty Hippie, thank you very much. I truly miss my Core Power Yoga classes with their nice large rooms heated to oh, around 100 degrees or so. Plus some nice balmy humidity! Some might call it "stifling", I, however, find it quite zen like. But maybe it's just the heat exhaustion settling in and frying my brain. (Thanks Cat, for showing me just how much fun it is to sweat out half of your body weight in just over an hour!)
I am, however, quite sore from my little yoga class. Thank goodness it wasn't up to the degree of difficulty I was used to before, or I may have just layed in final Savasana (aka corpse pose)and never gotten up. And just as expected I lasted all of about two seconds in Downward Facing Dog before I wanted to cop out and sit in child's pose (aka weak loser pose). So please, please, please tell me, Angela, how in the hell is that possibly a resting pose?!?!?! I think it's all a conspiracy and a lie that they teach yoga teachers to tell their students, because I have seriously not felt one moment of peace, EVER, while hanging upside down in Downward Facing Dog. Thanks for the info about yogatoday.com though. (My Hubby likes the "free" part of course.) I think I will check it out so at least then I can be a weak loser in the privacy of my own home. And I just may need some of those meditations to get me through March Madness!
I have also sucessfully completed my first large (okay, maybe not large but medium) knitting project. I made my first baby blanket. Now I have been trying to learn to knit for several years but have been progressing very, very slowly. Just ask my Mom. I promised her a scarf about three Christmases ago and she just got it this past year. I think in that three year period I managed to knit 2 scarves and crochet one hat. Well, actually 2 hats, but one was a complete disaster. So I stocked up on supplies and figured I would use the next couple years to work on my knitting skills so that I can officially be promoted to "old lady" status. (My inablility to stay up after 10 pm doesn't hurt either.) I can't remember exactly when I started this project, but I think it took me about 2-3 months. Mostly because I would hit a snag and instead of trying to figure out the problem I would set it aside for 2-3 weeks before I would finally decide that the problem wasn't going to magically fix itself. At this point I would rip out about half of what I had knitted, thus setting me back even more. In any case, I now have a nice, only minorly flawed (hey, it adds character, right?), blue baby blanket awaiting the next person I know to have a little boy. My next project.....a much more complicated pink frou-frou blanket for the next lucky little girl. IF, I manage to not screw it up that is.
Here is the finished project in all it's baby blue glory.... somehow it ended up much larger than it should have.
So we've been here over a month now, and I think we both feel a little more at home everyday. If you consider feeling at home to mean you understand virtually nothing that is said around you and being unable to read most of the signs around you. Phil is progressing with his Hebrew lessons, while I am still awaiting a tutor. Long boring story. However, because I took an intro to Hebrew class in Oregon I have been able to review and learn some on my own while I wait. I've been working on my Hebrew script or cursive because it is quite different than the print form and it is slowly starting to not look like a completely alien life form. Very, very, slowly. If you've ever seen Hebrew, then you know what I am talking about. And it doesn't help that it is written backwards either. Oh well, could be worse. Could be Mandarin Chinese!
Other than that we have just been getting used to our daily life here. I've gotten used to the security checks at the malls, banks, post offices, etc., as well as the military personnel and their ouzies you see walking casually around the streets. I love being able to walk everywhere and still have not taken the car out since my first escapade to the grocery store. New walking shoes are cheaper than gas anyway. (Although if the dollar gets any lower I might just be stuck inside knitting and doing free yoga on the internet for the next two years.) I'm definitely not used to the incessant horn honking or the outward "rudeness" of people here (i.e. pushing, total disrespect for anything resembling a line, and absolute refusal of people to move out of your way), however, I hope that I don't get too used to it. I don't want to come back home and have everyone thinking I am rude and pushy!
This weekend is Phil's birthday and guess how we are going to spend it??!?!? I'll give you three guesses and the first two don't count! Watching basketball on the computer! Woo-hoo! Thanks a lot, NCAASports.com! But if that is what my Hubby desires to do on his birthday, than that is what he shall get. I suppose I'll be doing a lot of cooking too, since I was already informed that we absolutely cannot go out to dinner the next four nights, because we must...watch...basketball....all...weekend...long. I might have that second baby blanket finished by next week after all!
7 comments:
Hi, Melissa
Enjoyed reading your latest blog. I can certainly relate to March Madness having had to adjust our lifestyle in March for many years. I am sure Liz is having similar feelings in DC too.
What is it about the Sacks' men???
Love you,
Lynn
Hee! I hate Downward Facing Dog, too!!! It is NOT, by any stretch of the imagination, a resting pose. HA
Pretty blanket! Almost makes me want to have a kid so that you will make me one. (Er, not really, though.)
Happy Birthday, Phil!
One of these days I will take yoga, that is after of course I run a marathon and a triathlon (this is my latest plan, I've been attempting to swim but I'm not very good at it).
The sub-machine gun you're speaking of is spelled uzi by the way
Hi Melissa nad Phil,
Hope Phil has a good b'day. I am impressed with your knitting, keep up the good work and you can knit your auntie a sweater!! We had a nice visit from Rosalie and had Lynn and Jay over for dinner. Everything else here is the same old same old.
Love,
Aunt Denise
Ni Hao! I love your little Mandarin comment. Happy Easter and Happy Brithday Phil. We love you!
B,M,E
Oh, and you forgot to count that beautiful multicolored baby blanket that is on Ella's bed right now!
Ahh! Downward facing Dog... I thought I was the only one who thought it was crazy to call it a "resting pose".
I can't relate to the march madness business Robert and I know the same amount of nothing when it comes to college basketball!
Happy birthday Phil!
Lynn,
Ahhhhh, yes....the Sacks men. They do so love their basketball. Maybe we should form a support group?
Cat,
Thanks for the B-day gift! It arrived today! Less than 2 weeks. Not bad! FYI, I've got a blanket waiting for you. You know, just in case. ;)
Brandon,
What happened to running a marathon on every continent? How is the knee anyway? And thanks for the kind correction of my spelling.
Aunt Denise,
I'm afraid my knitting skills aren't that good! Who needs a sweater in FL anyway. I could knit a baby blanket for your cat instead!
Smitty Family,
I can't believe you still use that! And I can't believe that I forgot about it! How is the Mandarin coming?!?!
Jen,
You are one lucky girl. Phil says he can no longer be Robert's friend though! JK!
Phil says thanks for all the Birthday wishes!
Post a Comment