Monday, December 29, 2008

Sufferin' Succotash

Ah, so here it is......the final post of 2008. *sigh* Another year come and gone. Seems like just yesterday we were partying like it was 1999 and everybody (okay, not me) thought the world was going to end at the stroke of midnight. But alas, it's almost 2009 and the world is all still here and somewhat intact. Our Christmas Day left much to be desired and I was unfortunately in a little bit of a funk. Although wearing my Santa hat that my Mom so kindly sent me perked me up a little bit. We had plans for eight of us to have a nice fancy shmancy Christmas dinner together (Mmmmmmm....roast lamb) at our friends house just across the Kikar. First, one couple had to cancel because of an illness (shingles.....ewwwwww). And then there were 6. Then the day before (oh-so-conveniently after I had already done my shopping for my culinary contribution in the pouring rain) the hosts had to cancel because of work related business. And then there were four. So instead of scrapping the whole evening we invited our friends Beth and David over for Christmas dinner. It wasn't exactly traditional, calzones of all things, but we were aiming for simplicity as well as catering towards Beth's weird pregnancy cravings. (Yes, indeed another one of my friends is knocked up but this time I'm sad to report that they are moving back to France in February. *sigh* We will miss them dearly.) But back to dinner. We had a quiet meal as Beth and David schooled us on what to see and do in France (he's French, she lived there with him for a couple years), and then we "attempted" to watch a movie. Surprisingly I wasn't the one that passed out two minutes into it. Our guests did. Which was perfectly fine...I guess it just shows that they are comfortable around us. And that.....well, that was about it. Exciting, no?

Things have been quiet here since then. It's been rainy and chilly....which I actually really like. (I think I might be a Portlander at heart.) Well, I guess I can't fairly say that it has been quiet here because unless you live in a hole in the ground and haven't heard the recent news about Gaza and Israel, then you know things have been shaken up around here lately. Yes, I am indeed a little freaked out about the recent events here in Israel. We both are. Phil stayed home today because he was a little nervous about driving to work and being so close to all the violence in Gaza. Many people that we know have moved out of their houses in the southern towns of Ashkelon and Ashdod that were recent targets of rockets. All in all I feel fairly safe in the big city. Although Phil and I both agreed that perhaps we should avoid crowded public places for a while, like my beloved Shuk. Who knows what's going to happen. Maybe it won't impact us at all. Maybe it will. All I know is that I am trying not to worry too much and just be aware and alert about what is going on. Rest assured, that if at anytime we feel unsafe here and want to cut and run back to the States we are free to do so. And rest assured that if anything happens in or near Tel Aviv I will be on the next plane (or waiting in line to get on the next plane as I am sure I won't be the only one) outta here.

So to keep my mind off such scary things I have been trying to keep myself busy. I am almost done with my on-line courses in order to recertify my laboratory certification. As much as I really don't want to return to my old job as a lab rat should we end up back in NM, I am afraid that in today's economy it might be the best option. Especially since we have all sorts of lovely things to buy when we get back like two new cars and oh, say a house. You know, just a few small purchases. I've also been knitting.....of course. I finally finished an acceptable hat for my friend's 15 month old baby. The first was a little too small....it just popped off his big ol' head. And the second, well, let's just say it was an experiment that did not turn out so well. I'm still contemplating whether someone as desperate as a homeless person would even want it or if I should just chuck it. (Okay, so it's not that bad.....I suppose I should donate it at least.) In any case, I finally finished one that I think is acceptable. And our dear Pumpkin was kind enough to model it for you......
Indeed we are quite bored right now if we've been reduced to this!

So we'll be ringing in the New Year on Wednesday with the usual gang plus some extras at our friends' house. It's not a very big holiday here because technically it's not the New Year if you follow the Jewish calendar. That was Rosh Hashanah, which was back in October. Instead they call New Year's Eve here, Sylvester. Why, you ask? Well, we've asked several Israelis and all we got from them was that it was named after someone called Sylvester. After further investigation it turns out the holiday is named after a Catholic saint called Sylvester who apparently was also a huge anti-semite. Strange indeed. But lucky for Phil since it's not a holiday here, he was able to request the late shift on Thursday so that we can partake in the New Year's/Sylvester festivities and not worry about the morning after. So to all our friends and family we wish you a Happy Sylvester and all the best in the New Year!

2 comments:

Princess in Galoshes said...

Very cute hat!

And I am very relieved to hear Phil didn't go in to work today. It's just not worth it, in my opinion!

If you're curious, my friend Ariel has a blog that talks about the situation a little bit. I always think he's pretty insightful:

http://aglasner.blogspot.com/

Happy New Year! We'll miss you guys at our party.

Anonymous said...

How did you get Pumpkin to wear the hat? That is a really cute picture. Glad to hear you are both doing well. How are the plans for the trip? Have a happy and healthy New Year.
Love, Aunt Denise