Wednesday, June 18, 2008

From Marriage to Retirement

Happy Anniversary to me! Oops, I mean us! Happy Anniversary to us! Thanks everyone for the wonderful Anniversary wishes. I cannot believe we’ve been married a whole year! On one hand it seems like the wedding was years ago and on the other hand it sometimes feels like just yesterday I (among many other people!) was wondering if Phil was ever going to marry me. Ha-ha….and now we are an old married couple living in Israel. Weird. But good weird.

So we didn’t do much for our Anniversary—we did just get back from Turkey after all. And although it wasn’t the most romantic trip we’ve ever taken (our trip to Maui when he actually proposed is going to be a tough one to beat!), it was still sort of an Anniversary trip for us. But we did manage to go out to a nice dinner and only got interrupted by Phil’s evil work cell phone once. Sometimes I think I should have married a doctor—at least when they get calls at all crazy hours of the night they are in charge of saving lives, not microchips. (It’s okay that I said that—I say it to Phil all the time!) So we had dinner at a nice expensive but not ridiculously expensive (there are certainly several of those here) restaurant. We actually went back to the home of the famous fifteen dollar scallop (which we steered clear of this time) and stuffed ourselves with delicious food and copious amounts of wine. Well, Phil didn’t do so well with the wine so I had to make up for it—we did order a bottle after all and it would have been a shame for it to go to waste. Right?

So here we are (not my best picture and I forgot to take out the devil eye before I uploaded it), on our first Anniversary next to the beautiful flowers Phil’s folks sent us for the occasion……..Thanks so much!

And here we are, just for fun (and because it’s a good excuse to post a picture (or 2 or 3!) of me in my wedding dress) one year ago on our wedding day…….


Yes, yes, we both clean up pretty nicely don’t we?

So anyway, on to other news, albeit nothing too exciting. It seems like we have been super busy lately although I’m not quite sure what I have been so busy doing. Certainly not my Hebrew, which I am sorry to say I am totally not interested in any more. We went to a barbecue on the roof top of our friends apartment over the weekend and also to a really cheesey movie—The Chronicles of Narnia, Prince Caspian. I don’t recommend it unless you are a die hard fan of the books, then you might get some enjoyment from it. I also had breakfast and movie day with some girlfriends on Monday and we discussed starting a book club. The kind of book club where you get together and eat and drink and chat and maybe you get around to discussing the book for twenty minutes or so. Our main task will be finding ways to get the books much cheaper than they are here. Thirty bucks a pop can add up quite quickly so we are trying to calculate the cheapest way to order them. If any one has a suggestion for a great book please share!

We (meaning Phil and I, not the girls) also watched the tie break round and sudden death of the US Open golf championship. Now I only mention this because I, yes I, watched the whole damn thing and I was so engrossed in it that I could not go to bed until it was over. It was that exciting. And anyone who knows me well, knows that a) I am not a huge sports fan to begin with, b) of all the sports I don’t like to watch I think I detest golf the most (okay, I hate auto racing more) and c) I do not stay up late unless I have a really good reason, like insomnia. Although I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed in the outcome. I was rooting for the underdog. Normally (I say that like I'm an avid golf watcher which is obviously not true), I would root for Tiger but since he was playing someone ranked like 158th in the world I was totally wishing the other guy would win. I like a good upset. But none the less, I scored some serious best-wife-ever points that night and I didn’t even have to fake my interest in it.

Oh yes, and I finished my baby blanket! Actually, I finished a couple weeks ago and am already half way through another one (a minty green one in a checker pattern), but I could never quite work the pictures into the blog. But since I am just rambling on about nothing this time, now is as good a time as ever. I discovered while knitting this that I was a little loose (with my knitting that is…..get your minds out of the gutter!) so it turned out quite a bit larger than it was supposed to. But hey, I’m still just learning and I have to admit that I am pretty damn proud of myself. So here it is in all it’s Pepto Bismol pink glory……..


I guess I should just go ahead and order my AARP card now! If I start crocheting doilies, somebody, please shoot me.

2 comments:

Princess in Galoshes said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, BABY!

I'm so sorry I'm a little late, this year is flying by. Has it really been a whole year, already????

You were such a beautiful bride. What a fun wedding. I miss you guys!

Your pink blanket turned out really cute, who's it for?

Anonymous said...

Darn! I wanted to be the first to comment, but had to interview a new attendance clerk. The flowers are lovely as are the two of you. I'm glad the anniversary dinner was good. Thanks for all the wonderful pictures and the continued updates. Love you guys, Mom